This online lecture series will invite leading experts in urban science, sustainability science, and urban sustainability to give talks for graduate students, early-career scholars and faculty. By sharing knowledge, insights, ideas, and research experiences, participants in the lecture series will be better equipped to join the research effort dedicated to advancing understanding of sustainable urban development in China and elsewhere.
|Prof. José Lobo||Urban Sustainability Science: Development and Opportunity||
10:00-12:00, Oct 8 2021, CST
04:00-06:00, Oct 8 2021, CET
19:00-21:00, Oct 7 2021, PDT
|Slides & Video|
|Prof. Luís M. A. Bettencourt||Introduction to Urban Science: The Challenge of Sustainable Development||
10:00-12:00, Oct 22 2021, CST
04:00-06:00, Oct 22 2021, CET
21:00-23:00, Oct 21 2021, CDT
|Slides & Video|
|Prof. Christopher Kennedy||The Evolution of Cities||
09:00-11:00, Nov 4 2021, CST
03:00-05:00, Nov 4 2021, CET
18:00-20:00, Nov 3 2021, PDT
|Prof. Xuemei Bai||TBD||
10:00-12:00, Nov 22 2021, CST
04:00-06:00, Nov 22 2021, CET
19:00-21:00, Nov 21 2021, PDT
|Prof. Michele Acuto||TBD||
10:00-12:00, Dec 7 2021, CST
04:00-06:00, Dec 7 2021, CET
19:00-21:00, Dec 6 2021, PDT
|Prof. Timon McPhearson||TBD||TBD||Registration Link|
Organization and Committees
- Host institutes: Institute of Urban Environment, Chinese Academy of Sciences; Arizona State University; The University of Chicago
- Scientific Committee: Dr. Yong-Guan Zhu; Dr. José Lobo; Dr. Luís M. A. Bettencourt
- Organizing Committee: Dr. Wei-Qiang Chen; Dr. José Lobo; Dr. Tao Lin; Dr. Lulu Song; Dr. Yupeng Liu; Dr. Jing Guo; Ms. Xiaohui Lu
Appendix: Three principal goals of the lecture series
- Educationally, they will introduce students to the research frontiers in urban science and urban sustainability science in China and worldwide. By sharing knowledge, insights, ideas, and research experiences (albeit remotely), participants in the lecture series will be better equipped to join the research effort dedicated to advancing understanding of urbanization and socioeconomic development.
- The second objective is to facilitate the development of research dialogues and collaborations about urbanization in China and more generally, about urban sustainability science.
- Thirdly, if the online series is assessed to be successful, it can be the basis for designing an in-person Winter School on Urban Sustainability Science to be held at the Xiamen campus of the IUE in 2022.